Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Year A century in the planning

Helo World. 

Its Feb. This has been winter of unusual Hell. It wasn't has bad as last year, I will give you that.
Last year,  i started training for the Hotter Than Hell late July before an august 100k ride.

This year, i vowed to challenge myself to something a bit harder, and to train earlier.
Between a searing headache, as a result of a lasik eye growth, and ice and snow. Training has been more internal than external.

But here's my challenge. 

I would like to ride 4 centuries this year.  Last year i made it through two 100k's.

This year i have two things in my corner. One is, im starting training earlier, and the other is im more focused in  my training.  While incompasitated, i took the time to let my brain and body, and emotio heal from a rough 2010 fourth quarter.  I am now alone in my daily training, but I think that will bode well for me inthe future.  And I got a cat.

I also focused more on core and leg training.  I bought a trainer, but no one mentioned to me, that it tears up the tire and the skewer.  The solution, dropping another 150 on a spare training whell. well i tried that, but it wouldnt fit my bike. yea.  So the next soltuion is to buy another wheel.  Well thats around 275.  Or, i could upgrade my wheels for a nice 600.  ugh.  This sport does get pricy.

As it is with my new tires, i went out yesterday, and gotta tell ya..new tires equal a real cup of awesome. I could tell immediatly!

That brings me back to my challenge. To ride more than 100 miles in an event.  I'm not sure i can do it. As my 60  miles, i'm pretty much over it.  I'm not sure why i want to do it, but i do know, that im not getting any younger. I will be 46 when i attempt this. 

I'm not a strong person.  I've never had a strong constitution.  But i've always been somewhat athletic. i have some serious knee issues, which is why i had to stop running and martial arts. In fact, my left knee sounds like the keebler elves abducted my leg and filled it rice crispies. (To that note, none of my friends will workout with me bec it grosses them out. whatever!)

 Im not a fast person. I dont have a superathletes vo2 max or ability to tolerate a lot of pain. In short, I'm like most of you, and you are going on this journey with me. I also don't like being cold. And somwhere in the past 5 years, i lost my heart for the hardcore dares.  I was never a star athlete and i probably wont ever be.

But i have those goal in my head..and in my heart.  And i plan to bore you with all the details.

So while i lay here in bed, planning my next training ride, I consider all the pain and suffering i'm about to endure.

3 pm ride today, when it's the warmest. 20 miles goal.

My legs are already tired...

Happy Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.