Tuesday, May 3, 2011

my bum hurts

I feel like I'm back to square one. Who knew cycling could be such a heachache, or pain in the ass, literally? 

The crux of it is, a month ago, I was hitting my wall at 50 miles. My lower back was killing me, and i'd gotten to a point that I wasn't gaining much.  I had my bum measured, and discovered my seat was too narrow (stow the jokes, busters!).  So, i bought a new seat.  I enjoyed it for a few rides, but felt my power was removed by the new fitting.  I played w/ my seat, got my power back, but it hit the sciatic nerve. 

Damnit, once you hit that nerve, it's a battle trying to get comfy again.  I tried going back to my original seat, but now my fitting was so screwed up that no adjustment helped.   I even ordered a seat from England that i thought was the seat I had tried two years ago and liked (i got hte wrong one, and now i can't return it). So yes, I am stuck w/ a bazillion seats and frustration out the wazoo.

in desperaton, I called RBM, who brought me in for a proper fitting.  In the course, i got a new seat post, another NEW saddle (this is #7), and a handlebar extension.  He also put a shim in my left foot, and moved back again, forward.  "I have no power when i sit up this far", "that's because you've been sitting wrong bec you're handlebars were too close, and you're hamstrings, and left leg are weak", "you mean, i have to start training all over again?", "yes". damnit.

Pardon my french but the last six months of training..hear that flush?

I've now put about 3 rides and about 60 miles in to the fitting.  Needless to say, my ass still hurts. My left foot was so weak, that i began gripping the cleat w/ my toes..unknowingly of course, but now my left toe hurts.  My ass is sore.

The new saddle is very thin, with serious support, and flex built into the titanium rails. This is the complete opposite direction of saddles i've gone in. Little to no padding, and yes, I can feel it. I feel like the princess and the pea.

I have signed up for a ride this weekend, 40 miles.  Its in Cedar Hill, and I hope i'm not making a huge mistake.  

I will call RBM back after a couple more rides.  What i'm not sure is...is this pain NEW pain due to weak muscles being tested or aggravating the same old nerve?  My bike wangler returns on Thursday. I plan to accost him for him....

Clear Skies !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.