I don't think i've blogged all week! I blog my little rides, then i do a big ride, and it takes me a while to compose my thoughts. So, here goes.
Last week, i was challenged by work to ride to work, and film it. I did on a gopro. I put the cam on my handlebars. But i dont like the mount, and the video came out very jumpy. I will have to work on that one. There was a snake on the trail, a poisonous one, and a squirrel suicided on a coworkers bike. Don't ask.
Saturday, was the Wild Ride in Richardson. I had signed up for the 100k a few months ago. I woke up feeling very under the weather and not impressed with my energy level. But, i ate the oatmeal and sucked it up..along w/ a bunch of advil.
Normally, i go to a ride, see some avid cyclist coworkers, who usually leave me in their dust, bec im not very fast, and no one else ever talks to me. Cycling is becoming friendlier, i am happy to say.
AS i lined up to go, a running pal of mine, just happened to be standing next to me. Out of a few hundred ppl, what were the odds on that? Then, my new cool cycling buddies i met at the lake the week before, made it just in time for line up. They are awesome to ride with. They don't take off and leave you in their man-dust, or ego their way past you to leave you struggling up hills. I didn't tell them I wasn't feeling too well bec sometimes I can feel bad but perk up once the blood gets flowing.
when the race started, we all got separated. J found me, and he thought our buddy S was way in front. We raced a long, not knowing the poor guy was caught in a slower group.
See, that's how these things go. There are so many bikes at a start, that it's almost impossible to get a good jump, unless you're really aggressive. I'm not because i'm not racing. IT's a rally. I like to go fast if i can, but with a 100 bikes clamoring for position, it's not worth the crash. It's also not worth wearing myself out to early.
S finally caught up to us, and we made it through very rough roads, wind, screamin hills and a misty rain that coated you just enough for the dirty to stick. I felt like an m&m.
And social? I ran into one of my favorite female riders at a stop light of a washed out road. What are the odds? As i was riding, a co worker in another dept, rides up next to me, and surprisingly recognizes me before I ever notice him. Again..odds?
good odds!
then I bonked. I haven't bonked like that in a while, but i wasn't good w/ my food. I am still learning you see. Luckily, a 43 mile stop and i got some food, and a little help from S's supplements. good stuff i think w enuf caffeine that perked me right up.
here's the weird thing. THe fatigue totally left my legs. I mean i was pretty worn out, but suddenly, i felt like i was all fresh again. Outstanding. I made it back w/ gas in my tank.
However, when i finally made it home, i had eaten too much recovery food. I couldn't stop. And i was achy...every where. When i came down from the adrenaline, the fatigue and under the weather feeling had returned in spades. Adrenaline is a great pain killer, but it also wears off. I felt really sick, and a hot bath and early bed time seemed to help.
OVerall, a very good ride. I was bummed about my time, but this was my first organized ride outside of the lake. I have to expect to build and rebuild as needed. I also have to remind myself, that even pro athletes peak and recover.
Recover...Now that's a topic for my next entry. READ ON !
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.