Sunday, May 15, 2011

the Long Road

My initial plan for the weekend, was to ride 30 on saturday, and 50 on Sunday, in prep for The Wild Ride this coming weekend.  Then, i realized my friend was hosting a mini duathlon on sunday.

For me, at my level, riding 30 miles  vs 50-60 miles takes diff prep and jersey/shorts.  It also dictates food to take.  After some internal deliberation, I settled on 50 miles.   For spring 65F heading into a warm day, I usually wear a normal summer jersey setup, with arm warmers, I can peel later.  But it was 61 and windy.  I added my Felt wind vest.

I struck out, as I normally do, and it was very chilly, esp when the wind would hit. I read it was hitting about 20+ winds.  I got past the small bridge to Garland and headed to the dam.

This women in front of me, w/ flat pedals, worked her way to the dam as well.. That path is pretty narrow, and it tends to freak out some who are new with the cars passing so quickly right next to it.  A lot of peds tend to meander along there as well, and it makes navigating a challenge.  Probably one of the worst areas on the Lake for a mix of cyclists and peds.

As we crested a small hill and headed into the drop for the swing back up to the damn, I came upon her wheel, trying to keep a distance.  Before I realized it, she slams on her brakes, and doesnt say a word.  I hit mine and luckily im far enough behind her to brake with space.  I heard a screech of brakes behind me, and alot of swearing.  I had NO chance to yell I was stopping bec she stopped on a dime.  I think one guy actually fell as he tried to avoid hitting either me, or the guys in front of him.

Now, who's fault was all that?  TO me, those guys behind me, were traveling a bit too fast for that bottleneck, and should have been paying attention..  If this were an auto situation, it would be there fault if they rear ended me.  I could tell the girl in front of me was vry new. I yelled as the road picked back up, if they were ok. I heard they were and they mumbled some swear words.  Honestly, I wanted to say, "watch your damn speed, this aint the Giro".  I said "hey, there's a lot of traffic, ppl are htting brakes w/o yelling, pay attention".   That poor girl got off the trail on the damn.  I felt for her.

I kept on going and headed up to the road. Next thing I know, i've got two guys pacing me. When they pass me, one compliments me on my wind vest, and i catch their wheel.  I follow them at a respective distance for about a mile, before they turn to realize i'm still back there. So, they strike up a conversation.  they were quite nice and invited me to ride with them for distance.

We chatted constantly and rode into the wind. You know what? While it sucked (or rather, blew) i hardly noticed the wind. I was having so much fun, and that I didn't even notice, my left leg hardly hurt.

I rode a few laps of the lake, then up the trail.  We dropped off one rider, and the other headed back w/ me for more loops, as he was training for a distance ride at elevation in Co.  It was nice to have a cool rider to chat w/, esp someone who shared my same views on the cycling world. He even convinced me to go the distance.  I pulled off the 55 miles with company, and ended the last five on my own.

The best compliment came when two other guys rolled up w/ me to a stop sign.  They asked what loop I was on (weird, but ok) I don't think they believed i was almost to 60 miles, as he said "you don't look stressed at all", and i wasn't.

My snaps to WES at RBM, for giving me back my passion. And to my new friends, I'm glad I met you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.