IN the past 4.5 months, I decided to tackle my weight problem, and improve my cycling w/ the lofty goal of riding a century and losing 10 lbs. Then my landlord challenged me to lose more like 15. I made it to ten, and am holding. At least i'm holding.
Then i went to the doc to get my annual physical. The nurse commented on how much better I looked. "I log everything I eat in livestrong.com, i cycle at least 70+ miles a week, I am getting there!" Well, i thought i was.
Here's a hard, cold slap of reality in my face. You can be thin, and still suffer from High Cholesterol. WTF. Yeah I said it.
AS proud as I was of my progress, my cholesterol increased 30 pts from last year. HOLY cow.
This was the first year, however, that they ever broke down my numbers, bec i was just under the borderline.
My numbers all looked great, save for my LDL. IT was borderline high...just tipping the scale at 133. whoa. How the hell did my numbers increase 30 pts from last year, after I cut out all the cheese and began watching everything i eat.
The only explanation, since there is no previous breakdown of my numbers, is that it is possible that my LDL was always high and my good numbers were low, keeping it below the red flag level. She said my good cholesterol was very, very good, but that LDL is a bad. She suggested, the only reason my numbers aren't worse, is because i began to take better care of myself.
frak.
Next week, i go in for a consultation. She was elated that i had all my foods listed in armstrong.com and said i had a good basis for fixing the situation. It runs in my family, and i knew that. But i don't to end up on statin drugs like some of the members in my family...not any time soon, and not if i can help it.
The thing is, i have gone into this whole thing blind. I have NO idea if i'm eating the right foods or not. I am also blind into my training, getting tips from coworkers and bike handlers.
So how did i handle all this? I PIGGED OUT. I first ate cake and then nachos from my favorite theater.
I pulled a Swayze. When ol Patrick found out he had pancreatic cancer, he increased his smoking.
Now that i have a tummy ache from all the cheese and chips, and got that business out (or rather in) my system, i gotta do better.
Two things are my goals for this year...other than getting my car a tune up and seeing a dermatologist, is to a) find a nutritionist and b) get a cycling coach.
Food can be our best weapon, it should be our foremost weapon, not the enemy. Right now, i'm like a girl that's picked up a tommy gun and wielding it around like a broomstick. Someone stop me from pointing that sharp object at the crowd.
I promised in this blog, i would share the bad w/ the good, so here it is.
More later as i educate myself in the ways of growing old....whatever.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.