While waiting for a video to export, my mind wandered to a conversation i had this past weekend about buying a bicycle for the first time.
An associate of mine, was interested in buying his first, serious bicycle. While I am a total advocate to cycling, it suddenly gave me pause.
I pointed out that there are two types of bicycles...a bike you ride occasionally, possibly something you buy at Walmart or Target, or a bike you drop at least $2-3k on (if not more). The latter being an investment.
Not just a monetary investment, because while you may walk out of the store with the initial purchase, you will, just like buying a home computer, spend hard earned chump change on upgrades, tires, tubes, tools, lights, etc. Don't even get me started on new wheels, a new saddle (or many) and a very expensive bike computer with heart rate monitor and cadence sensor..(i guess it got started)
I loving call bike shops, The 100 dollar Store.
This is not a purchase you make lightly.
I then spoke to another cycling enthusiast, like myself, about the conversation. He got really serious, then pointed out, "a bike that sweet, doesn't sit in the garage. If it does, it will call you, pecking at your brain like a haunting song, or a demon of the night that won't let you go back to sleep. It will become, an obsession. And if it doesn't, don't buy the bike".
What's a great indication from buying a 'bike' to investing in one of the greatest obsessions in the world? When did it happen for you?
I can tell you my AHA moment.
It was when i moved the bicycle from the garage, to my bedroom. It was when i realized that going to the garage to fetch my bike, for a early morning ride before work, took too much time. It was when i realized, that if anything was going to get stolen out of my garage, it would NOT be my bike. It was when i added airing up my tires, and setting out my morning cycling kit as part of my getting-ready-for-bed-washing-my-face-brushing-my-teeth nightly ritual. And, I think it was right after that my boyfriend moved out.
You're right, I am obsessed, but I honestly believe, that I am surrounded by many who have this shared vision...sorta like when Richard Dreyfess get's implanted with the Devil's Tower. You won't get any better if it sits in the garage...
You know, I'm not sure when the aliens will make contact, but you can sure believe, I will be on my bike when it happens.
Clear, Calm Skies!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.