Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Less than two weeks to go!

So, 8 days later, i get around to blogging again. Well, it's not like anyone actually reads these :D

Here is my cycling update.  I've now completed two sundays of 50 mile rides.  Last week, my total mileage was 103 miles.  I'm very happy with that.

Last week, I noticed that I was having a difficult time clicking into my big gear on my crank.  That's a pain bec I can push a bigger gear on a longer ride easier than the small gear.

I took my bike into DBW, and they gave it a bit of a tune up. while there, a new bike computer caught my eye, one w/ a GPS. They had it discounted out the whazzooo, So, i decided to jump on that.

When i picked my bike up later that day, looking sharp as ever, one of the great guys there, asked me to get my shoes and shorts and hop up.  He started pointing out some of the adjustments, per complaints I'd been having about longer rides and comfort.  For a greatly discounted price, he would do a professional fit, esp since they never really fit me on the bike.

I agreed. IT took over an hour of lots of little adjustments, and a greatly raised seat. He mentioned my shoes were not very good. He was right..they were crappy 35$ i'd gotten when i bought the bike, not sure if I were still going to dig it. He told me to ride and see how everything felt. I left w/ my bike, ready to ride. A short ride later, everything seemed ok, and i could once again, shift into the big gear.

Every ride up to sunday seemed ok, but i felt the bike seat was a bit high.  I went ahead and did my 50 miles on Sunday.  By the time i got to about 45 miles, I noticed some definite foot and seat discomfort.  I decided when i hobbled inside, that I definitely needed new shoes.  My left foot hurt so badly, I could barely walk on it.  Later that night, the soreness in my "seat" area increased.  The next morning, i felt ok, and took my bike in for post ride/post fit adjustments.  We got me some new shoes, and were adjusting them, when i hit an area w/ my seat on my bod that screamed in pain.

After he examined my seat, here is what i learned. Pay Attention. My bike seat, is very narrow at the T part that goes between your legs.  The sides of the seat, drop off dramatically, creating "ridges" along the top.  Better bike seats are rounded, gradually curved from the top of the seat, to the bottom.  So if you looked at a cross section of the seat, on mine you'd see a sharp upside UU, and on the better seat ")" turned sideways.

 Now, imagine THAT upside down UU digging in deep to a girls nether regions.  When properly fitted to the bike, that part of your body is engaging these ridges. OUCH. yeah, i've managed to bruise a tendon pretty deep.  damn.

The really cool thing about Dallas Bike Works, is that they have loaner seats for you to try, so you don't have buy, return and take the restocking fee hit.  Brian put a WTB Thinline Deva tester on the bike for me.

I now have a new bike computer, new shoes, and a new seat.  However, I'm still too sore to hop on the bike and take it for a spin, and I'm starting to get really depressed about that.  I Don't think i'm in full on taper madness yet, but my desire to get on my bike is obsessive.

It's less than two weeks to the HHH.  Will I make it??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.