Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cyling update

It's kind of  liberating to know that no one reads this blog :)

After taking my boss' advice, which is about electrolyte and energy supplements, I struck out for a training day.  I know, i am way behind, but i have to believe, that I'm not that far out of shape, and the running lately has helped me skipped a few steps.

Last year, I hadn't ridden a bike in almost 20 years. Now, having done the HHH last year, i'm alot more comfortable and have an expectation of my abilities and how to train.

Thing is, I never really trained on supplements on the ride.  Lucky for me, my work environment just happens to be populated by some very athletic types. I could go as far to say, I work w/ athletes.   My boss is a serious marathon trainer, being trained possibly by the best. So he's knowledge on an extreme workout, stress and recovery is quite expansive. He turned me onto GU.

I picked up a few sample packs, and gave half to my bf, before he left for his Ultimate Tournament in Louisiana. Last night, I stayed up til 5 am editing and just not sleeping, which  meant I slept in til the day was pretty warm.

I dragged my ass out of bed, after only 5 hours of sleep, and got my gear together to cycle the lake.   Goal for today, 20 miles. After one lap around the lake, in 95+ degree high noon, I was feeling it. I gulped down a GU.

For the love of god, that was just plain disgusting.  I thought i would throw up. But i got it down, and drank a lot of water.

Within 10 minutes, i could engage my bike again. I had the umpf to make it around the lake, With a few chomps for support.

Ok kids, i am totally sold on GU.  I can't believe I did the HHH last year with out it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.