Friday, July 30, 2010

I found myself on a bicycle...

As if running wednesday morning wasn't enough, and after my obvious "my weight sucks" meltdown, I decided it was high time I get myself back on Clementine. Clementine is my fabulous FELT made-for-a-girl road bike, i got last  year from Dallas Bike Works, the BEST bike shop in the world. Clem was a brand-new discarded orange totally blinged out road bike that some rich wife hated because she just too sleek for roads. Whatever. Her loss was my total financial, and cycling gain. Thanks Rich Trophy Wife!

But, i owed Clem almost a whole season of riding. Earlier this year, i wiped out on Booboo, Andy's awesome, and well used and abused, mountain bike. BooBoo can't help it, he likes to ride hard and wipe out just as much. HE's made for it. And it was my own arrogance that earned me the riding my bike to the ground in a very smooth burn in.  Luckily, since it was so fast, i had no time to put my hand out to brace my fall, i only suffered a little friction burn and a sore shoulder.  But, i guess it did a little mind job on me, and whatever, it's not like I haven't fallen before. But the summer ran up on me, because because..ok enough excuses.

The Hotter Than Hell Hundred is a century bike race, held annually in Wichita Falls, Texas in August. Normally, its about 107F and a real beating, but last year, it turned out to the be the "Milder than Hell", only 80F. I thought I would have a work engagement that day, but as it's turning out, I'm thinking the bike ride is going to win out. And oh shit, I'm not in distance riding shape.

Ok so i've been running 3 or 4 miles here and there, but cycling distance. *Sigh* So, wednesday, i geared myself all day, and ate appropriately for a short distance ride around the lake.

14 miles..big deal, right?  Well, the lake is full of fun obstacles, like, large groups of cyclists, joggers, large families that allow their dogs to run out onto the trail, massive gusts of wind, and birds that like to hang out in strategic trees and take a group shit on your as you open your mouth to take a deep breath.

Actually, the worst is the wind.  Talk about your resistance training.  It can blow you sideways, or you pedal like a little kid on a one gear bike and go nowhere. It's actually pretty humorous. And as usual, for my first time out, I had a few issues.

First, my legs were already recovering from that morning's run. My bf gave me this pouch to put under my seat. IT's rather large. and holds some heavy tools and air pump. I had just gotten over the railroad tracks about 3/10 of a mile from my house and WHACK! I hear stuff hit the road. The zipper broke and all my tools and survival implements hit the tracks. damnit.  So i turned around, and like a dork, stuffed them back into the pouch, and carried it back to my house like i was holding a lost kitten. I dumped that sorry little bag on my car, took out what i thought i needed, stuffing my  jersey pockets full of spare tubes and tools, and headed back out.

Now its 6:15 and the sun looks weird. Whispy clouds accumulated, giving it a fall, misty dull look. It reminded me that I didn't have much time, as the days are getting shorter. I have lights on my bike, so i have to beat dusk. Have i mentioned in this blog how MUCH i hate winter?

off i go.  The wind was already hitting me. My legs were protesting.  I made it to the main road that crosses to the lake. 2 other cyclists, were waiting for the light.

My main goal, was to make it 15mph solid around the lake. marathon speed. right?  Hmm i started going, pretty good even tho the wind was starting to annoy me.  I came around to the dam.  There is a sharp incline, and if you know the lake, you know your going to want to crank it up before you hit the rise in the land to make it. Otherwise, it's strength-training time.

My luck, I get stuck behind slowboy who's taking up the entire freaking lane. Thanks dude.  Power up the hill time.   I have to keep reminding myself of a Carmichael training tip. View slowing and starting up again as a training technique. So be it.  I crank it up the hill. Wow, i made it. And i didn't die.  I started down the hill. Now, if no one is in front of you, you get your first high of going fast downhill. Frak! SLowpokes in front of me  hitting their brakes. Come on ppl!

And wow, it suddenly dawned on me..this has changed. They finally opened the new path and walkway to the public. ANd it has changed the path.  In my awe of the beautiful new path, i missed the turn for the path and ended up on the road. Ugh. I hate this part. Because it's very hilly, and just when you finally get speed, you have a stop sign, RIGHT at the base of another hill! Not to mention, the cars on this road HATE cyclist, and will either ride your ass or swing around you so fast, almost hitting you. nope. I am not ready for that.  I found the path access through a parking lot. Which sorta sucks because part of hte fun of that part of the downhill is going around those curves at a great speed.

Now, im behind the slowpokes again. Grr.  I "strength train"  my way back up a hill to a straightaway. Why this straightaway wears me out, I have no idea.   Maybe its' a steady incline, but i find myself in a recovery mode.

As I'm riding along, I noticed my legs stopped protesting, and started to activate. Yeah, I'm digging this. I get around a few hills and look down at my bike computer. 25 mph.  Holy Bird On my  helmet! That's way faster than intended, however, no one is directly in front of me, so i pedaled hard to make it faster. I dug that.  My legs dug that. And i knew i'd need it for upcoming hills.

Then the wind hits. Frakin wind!  More strength training. My enjoyment at seeing one of the guys that started when i did not much further ahead of me. But, there are a lot of fast cyclists out there. More power to them.

Now, here is my next annoyance of the lake.  Peleton wanabes. For you cyclists out there training for the hotter than hell, good on you. But, while in the Falls,  YOu will have a huge wide road to group ride on, you DONT at the lake.  The path is barely 3 riders wide. If you two of you or more are riding wide, you leave little room to pass without going into the oncoming lane, esp if your coming up to a bridge or tight hill.  STOP RIDING ON THE LEFT OF THE LANE!   IF your group riding, practice your drafting single file.   Move over if you hear "on your left', although, i think this startles riders and peds into your path, more than good than it does to alert them your coming around.

The wind is really starting to piss me off. I'm pedalling and going sideways, or no where. Remember, strength training and stop complaining.  I look down at my speed...17 to 18 mph. Ok im pretty happy with that. Next thing i know, the hardest last 1/4 miles of my loops is coming up, with the exit leading to my road back home. Only, this exit is a hill.  And at the base of it, is a nice smattering of lose rocks and sand. Thanks. What a bitch.  I screamed a little, plowed through it, braced to bite it, and changed into the wrong gear. Whatever. Strength training again.

This road is next to the back entrance to a hospital.  I had to click into my lowest gear, and climb up it.  At the top, an ambulance patiently waits for me to make it, probably check out my face if i'm about to pass out in front of them, creating them more paperwork for hte night. I made it, but a surgeon walking from his car, gives me a funny smirk. Yes i know, i look like hammered poop on a windsheild. Thanks for the nod.

I made it home. Somehow, the way home always feels alot bumpier. My fastest time was 27mph, my slowest was 9. Give me a break, that was a steep hill with wind.

It's now friday, and after treating myself to a new pair of shorts and jersey, and some riding drink aids, I'm ready for a weekend of long rides. I now have a new, sleek lighter pouch and hopefully some lighter tools of which I can change a flat, of which, I am terrified to get on my own.  I am still sore.

And btw..what is with the hideous options of jerseys' for ladies?  They look like a hippy from Woodstock blew chunks on them.  PLEASE jersey for girls designers, Give us the COOL jersey's the guys get, in a female cut!!

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I have to pull alot of distance this weekend to jack it up for the HHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.