Monday, March 28, 2011

Rookie Mistake?

I needed some time to recover from this weekend's cycling before i could write about it.

This past week was difficult. My legs felt fatigued all week.  Last week, i killed 50 miles on sunday with no problem, even with the wind.  Monday and Tuesday were so windy, that i took a break and swapped my rest days of tuesday with Thursday. That was, i think, a mistake.

Then last week, i got a new saddle and had a new quickie fitting by Casa Linda RBM.  Joe did a quick change but my seat position was way off, he said. HE positioned me further up on the bike and I felt like i was falling forward.  But i hung in there.

I cycled Wed - hills, Thursday 2 laps easy, Friday 2x moderate, and saturday went out to my first RBM ride. I had no idea what to expect, and was glad my TI engineers offered to ride w/ me.  It was windy.  My legs were already tired.  

By twenty miles i was spent.  I was upset about that too.  Then sunday, yesterday, i went out to ride.  IT was 53, drizzly and calm air.

I was supposed to get my long, endurance ride in of 50 miles. I had NOTHING.  My legs felt heavy, despite all my efforts at recovery supplements, socks, not going out sat night, no alcohol, elevating my legs, anything i could do, but i was still fatigued. Geez, it wasn't like i was going to the falls and back or anything. It was colder, and virtually no wind. Should have been a cakewalk.

I gave up after 22 miles, or 2 laps.  My legs didn't hurt, they just weren't there. 

Of course, i came home and took a really hot bath. It was funny to watch Flynn's curiosity of the bathtub full of water. You could just see his little brain trying to come to grips with why i was lying in it, and what that stuff was surrounding me.   He didnt even notice dragging his tail around in it, thanks by the way for that.

Anyway, i was distraut and ate some freezer pizza. Another lb gained, even tho i kept my cals around 1700.  I am just so frakin hungry.  In my state of mind, i could not face another chicken breast.

I was even invited out, but i couldn't bring myself to leave, which didn't help me feel more bummed.

But i decided, to get the chores done, and go to bed with tomorrow being a new day.

I consulted my boss, a marathon coach, today.  He said it was no surprise that sunday i was baked and should have taken it as a rest day. He also confirmed i should back off my schedule until my legs catch up to the new seat position.  Thank god for him, and for the TI'ers that were patient w/ me on the ride.

Protien day, to help rebuild.  Today is a rest day, and i'm debating on tomorrow. If i go, it will be a light day of hills.  Two month's of training..and am i starting all over again?

Geez.

Clear Skies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.