Sunday, March 27, 2011

I got schooled!

Yesterday, i set out to ride my first Richardson Bike Mart 29 mile, slow. 

Luckily, a few coworkers who are seasoned in that ride, agreed to go along with me.

The ride was anything but slow.  It was very, very windy.  And after twenty miles, i started to bonk.  From that point on, even when i fuelled, i was wasted.  TWENTY MILES.  i got schooled.

These guys on those rides are amazing. I have been training my ass off, for what? To be the slowest person in the pack.  And this was the SLOW ride?!?!

A few years ago, when my bf helped me get a bike, i was out of shape, i could barely make it around the lake. I felt terrible about that. I felt like i was holding him back. So i started riding as much as I could just to keep up.

One day, i could make it around the lake at a good pace, and that same year, i did 50 miles in the HHH.

The following year, i didnt start training until about 6 weeks before the HHH, but i completed a 100k.  And a month later, i did another 100k in the Wish 100. My time wasn't great, but i did it.

This year, i started training as soon as I could after my eye surgery. This time, i started slow and im slowly building up the miles.

Someone at work said to me "Why?"  I have so many answers to that all i could say was "why not?"

I'm not a strong person, but i have a big heart and i try.

All yesterday proved to me, is that i have a new challenge. No longer do i fear holding someone back around the lake, i fear not keeping up w/ the pack.  Maybe, I will change that.

I also want to remind the world of something. If someone says a negative thing to you, about your dedication to a sport, or improving yourself, its probably because they are unhappy with that aspect of their own life. Otherwise, they would be supportive and positive.  Shake it off and stay dedicated.
Consistency is the key.  If obsessing or being addictive to a sport makes you a happy, healthy person, they fuck them ;D

Clear, calm WARM skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.