Friday, January 6, 2012

Silhouette of a Cyclist

It's January, and time to start my cycling blog up again! I know you're gonna want to book mark this bad boy!

This year starts with a clean slate.  I will have a sitdown w/ the Roadie coach after i return from CES in Vegas to discuss racing/rally schedules, equipment, and training schedules.  I have officially joined Fit2Train, a leading Tri Team, although, at this point I have no plans to be a tri. I am really stoked about getting myself back into some serious training, esp after the debauchery I engaged in over the holidays. (Stop nodding out there, if you know what's good for you, and please stop sending me pics! :D)

Last night, i went out cycling around White Rock Lake. Somewhere in the back of my little brain, it's still summer and I just can't wrap my brain around the fact it's cold outside, until i am too far my house to turn back.  Yes, I froze my little slovakian buns off.

Here's what's odd about cycling around the lake.  In scuba diving they call them thermoclines. I'm not sure if that's what i feel when im riding the lake, but damn, it sure feels that way.  One minute im just warming up, sweating even, and then I enter a sudden drop in temp and it chills me to the bone.  Then it warms up again. As soon as that damn sun sets, the overall temp drops and it just doesnt matter how fast or hard i ride, it's damn cold.

As I was rounding the lake, feeling a little down about the cold, i looked at the slight berm to my side. The sun was setting, and i saw a shadow of myself riding a long.  It sort of caught me off guard. And i realized, the silhouette of a rider is actually beautiful thing.  Graceful and sleek. Not me, any rider.
All the chill left for a bit and I remembered why i love the sport so much.

In fact, I was reminded of a thought a dear friend, who loves cycling more than me said: "I try to make every ride make me feel like i'm a kid again, with that same freedom and joy i felt then."  I've tried to adopt that philosophy.

I also noticed the giant pterodactyls that nest in the trees over the path.  They are the street gang of birds. They hover over the path, waiting for an innocent cyclist to pass under, then dive bomb ya w/ Poo. I have learned to shut my mouth. I stopped for pictures. When i figure out how to post them, I will.

The Northcliff road, my favorite part of the path, I stopped to take in the breathtaking sunset. After all, what is cycling if you can't stop and take in some scenery.  I also took a picture.

The downhill of Northcliff, is where I find a moral imperative to yell, sometimes loudly, sometimes under my breath, Wheeee! (yes, like the Geico pig).  It still gives me chills to hit it hard and fast.

Ok frozen and ready for a hot shower, i welcomed the hot water.

'til next time. Clear, Calm Warm skies, my friends.

Find your bliss and never let it go

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.