Here i am, starting all over again. Why? Let's chat...
Almost 6 weeks ago, i was crossing NorthWest Highway, at that horrid construction pass that the City of Dallas thinks is safe for cyclists, and anyone else NOT in a car. I was headed East, down hill, towards White Rock Lake, when i hit a strange hole on the path set for us. A hole made by erosion and construction and the sidewalk is not maintained. Yet, we are told that's the only SAFE place to ride to cross Northwest Highway to get to one of the most used bike trails, White Rock Trail, in the city.
I fell.
I have logged 100s of miles and hours of riding time, culminating in years, not months, in the saddle. I've only fallen once before, and that was because a large snake took up a bike path in Wichita falls (Ok i screamed like a girl and rode off the trail, but i was OK). Oh wait, Also that time my mtb slid on some wet path and i smoothly laid the bike down, but nothing major. So, after all that explanation, the point is, never a major fall.
But on memorial day, i fell pretty hard. Still clipped in, and the handlebars wrenched out of my hands, i hit the pavement on my hip, hit my face and head, then flipped over to land on my hip.
I knew immediately that something in my right leg was broken, as it felt as if someone tried to wishbone me. The pain was excrutiating. All i could do, was lay in a fetal position until the ambulance arrived. My hero, my bf, raced back up the hill to me. While i was being taken care of, he arranged with the firemen to take my bike, and off i went to the hospital.
What follows is not pretty.
Let me tell you sth about hospitals that i have learned lately...if you don't have a head injury, and you're not gushing blood, they will try to make you leave. They misdiagnosed my condition and tried to send me home. They thought i had just fractured my pelvis in three places, but later i discovered that it was a displaced break in two places in my pubic bone, and a fractured pelvis. The doc and nurse worked hard to get me admitted, which took a lot of hysterical crying on my part, as i could'nt move at all.
Btw, as a side Note..as i was not unconcious when the ambulance got me, they didn't give a poop about my Road ID. I wasn't carrying my Insurance Card, and that became the second most needed item. I had a non-driving ID made when i went to the DMV, so i will always keep that, and a copy of my insurance card, plus a credit card and $20 bucks on my bag...Just FYI.
To continue, it was 4 days at Baylor, and 4 days at Presby hip center. 8 days total. 8 days of being on hydrocodone AND dilauded. Let's discuss Dilauded...It's a harsh narcotic. I had no idea on this drug, and what i would be dealing with later. The hospitals didn't wean me off, or have me talk to a pain specialist..they cut me off and sent me home. All i was told was "you will feel like crap for a few days...but it will get better".
Detox is a nightmare. A big huge f'ing nightmare. I have never been so sick and miserable on top of being broken in my life. It was like having a malaria or worst flu with a high fever on top of being broken. Which btw, a broken pelvis is extremely painful. I DO NOT recommend it..btwn the shaking chills, soaking sweats and utter weakness..so weak you'd rather pee on yourself then move even a little, it was the third worst week of my life, coming in a tight second to the accident itself.
Here is what i now know to do: From now on, i will take the pain drug if i'm ever in the position again, but i will immediately contact the Carrel Clinic (sp) and contact the doc and pain specialist. I will have the hospital wean me off while im there, and follow up quickly w/ the docs. I was so sick i waited a week, because i couldn't even think. Why anyone would choose to do a drug that causes those kinds of withdrawals, needs to be whacked up side the head. Brutal. Never again will i go thru that voluntarily!
TO BE continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.