Monday, July 9, 2012

Starting Over - Part Three

Here i am, Part three.

Yes, I am still here. My breasts aren't any bigger, and my thighs aren't any smaller. I still go to work, i still pay my bills and watch the Tour De France, and dream of a time when i can get back on my bike.

Instrumental in my recovery, is Team Boomer.

Team Boomer consists first of Mike.  My love and partner, and one hell of a triathlete.  He's smart when it comes to this stuff..really smart.  And is constantly researching methods to my recovery while still training himself for one of the biggest events a Tri can go for..a distance triatholon of Iron man endurance.  Brutal! what i couldnt do in a weekend, he will now do in one day.  Who says there aren't superhero's in this world.

Second, is my new line up of doc's. I wont mention them all here, but my orthopedic will not only get me walking again, but also running and cycling.

Third, is my bike fitter. For now, he's fallen off the grid, but I am confident that when the time comes around, he'll be there for me.

So get this, I have to start over. Really start over. While there wont be any major damage, long term, we are hoping, my body dynamic has been altered forever.  I will not only have to learn to walk properly, but also to run and sit in the saddle. Speaking of saddle, my bike fit will not have to be altered. Maybe not drastically but some, nonetheless. And many times.

Due to the pain medication, i lost alot of weight. What is it about weight that will disappear for a while, but come back with a vengence, and FAST too!! I've lost so much muscle mass, it's heartbreaking.  And now, i have to watch every calorie.  I want to rebuild my bones and all the fun stuff that surrounds them, but i also don't want to gain any extra weight. Carrying that around matters. 

Speaking of weight, have you checked out this year's crop of pro cyclists at the French tour? They're all dumping weight to improve speed and climbing. Usually the thighs of a sprinter are pretty good size, and the climbers are thin, but they're all taking on that emaciated  athlete look.  One pro is 6'2", and weights 167?  WOW!

I digress.  Back to me :D  Ok so I am starting week 6.  I am walking faster on the crutches but it still hurts to go without them for any length of time and distance.  ON the 24th, i go back to the ortho for a followup and hopefully the start of REHAB. I have removed the shower chair, which is a big step! I am making progress!!

In the meantime, i watch my friends ride, and i will miss RAGBRAI.  But here is a hint as to why my BF is such a superhero. He's had me put on the support staff for the HHH pace group.  While he domestique's for the team, i will be handing out food and water.  IT's heartbreaking not to be able to ride, but it gives me the unique perspective of seeing such a speed distance group without the stress.  I'll be on that team next year for sure.

So here are my goals.  LOSE THE CRUTCHES! Drop about 5 lbs.  Start to run. REbuild my upper body.  Get back on the bike. Train on trail runs. Ride and run the HHH Triple Threat. Make my way to Iowa.  Possibly a bike camp. And get back on my team, Fit2Train. I want to chick some guys up a hill. After all, i am a climber and there is nothing more satisfying, then catching a man off guard as i sprint up a hill past him.

And it starts NOW.  I will be keeping you up to the date on not only recovery, but my rebuild back to the sport. 

It starts now, and thank you for going on this journey with me.

I've an early shoot tomorrow...Bed now.

Clear Skies my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.