Tonight i was out walking my cat (yes i do that, he's actually getting pretty good at it), and i saw a little kid racing up and down the street on his bike. He didn't care about what gear he had, what he was wearing, or if he had the right shoes, pedals and cadence. And yet, the world was his because he go anywhere!
That pretty much sums up how i feel about a bike, too, but with all the cool stuff that goes with it, is frosting. So here I go...
I've gotten a coach for cycling. Our first meeting was like cycling 101. He had a white board and went through bullet points of coaching, and then math of cycling. Ok, I was in.
Thursday, we went out for our first ride. He ran my ass up and down the west of the lake, helping me find my baseline cadence, and working from there. I'd never done any of that, and within 1.5 hours, was close to wearing out. Then we finished a lap.
Friday morning early, i went out, despite being a little sore, and rode my baseline cadence. I wasn't sure what I was supposed todo, but it felt like since that was the brought up alot, i should practice it, alot.
Friday night, Coach already had a week schedule made out. Alot more of the thursday night training, and other exercises guaranteed to wear me out and improve my ride.
Saturday was my first ride with their group. They were pretty good, and i hung w the front for a while, before they all got their wheaties working and my went south (not Biblically, but i hope you get the idea). I would catch up, drop, catch up, drop. Until finally, with the last 20 miles, I was a dropped case. I simply hadn't the skills or fitness.
However, the coach was with me the whole time, helping me through the hard parts, telling me when to shift. Not only that, the other members always tried to help when they could. I really appreciated that. No one treated me like an interloper, but i would notice from time to time, how i would split the group bec no one wanted to sit on my wheel. Understandably. i wouldn't want to sit on my either during that.
Gotta tell ya, those folks are just plain good. You can really tell who trains and who doesnt. Boy, do i have a lot of work ahead of me. But i knew i would, otherwise, I wouldn't have hired a coach.
I looked at my garmin watch, and i burned up 2k cals. Yum. I love eating and tried to keep it as healthy as possible.
Did i mention, i've only left the sofa to eat, visit the head and write this (and check on my landlords cat). I am really achy!
Tomorrow, is an easy spin of 1.5 hours. Now if i can just recover overnight!
Clear, calm skies.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.