What is Explainer Bootcamp?
It's an intense, step by step course on creating an explainer video from client idea to delivered product. Easy, right? Not really.
Here's the breakdown. You gotta talk to the client and figure out what they want. Then create a cost estimate, timeline, storyboard it, animatic, design and then animate it. Then hopefully, get paid. Some of this stuff i know, a lot, I didn't. It's good to know stuff.
But as all projects, time is never a luxury. IT's a commodity, a currency, and can be a real liabilty.
The first week was orientation. We get an advanced project to see how well we handle it.
I started drawing out my ideas and storyboards, then DUTCH showed up. Dutch is the name of that evil voice in my head that gets me to second guess myself. google Dutch Uncle.
Dutch and I started to argue. It wasn't pretty. When i saw the talent in the class, I just shut down. Imposter Syndrome hit me hard. I created 5 storyboards. 5. I didn't turn in one of them.
Here's a frame of one of them.
But, the first week started and I put all that behind me and moved foward.
Our first project was to take the brief from 3 clients and pick which one we wanted to do. The first one made the most sense to me, so I decided on that one. We got a cool budget template and showed how to create a calendar. For the most part, I got it. Good business stuff!
Then the second lesson came out. and a) write out a visual script (description of how i interpret the client's script), b) treatment (cinematic description of my idea) c) 3 moodboards. Well hell, moodboards was beaten into me in the class, so, i got that part. I handed in my 3, and my critique one didn't fit with the others. So, i redid it.
These are moodboards. They give the client an idea of your concept. I wonder if my design instructor would be proud I actually handed in a project on time?
I came up with some idea for the visual script and then tried writing the treatment. Buzzer. Not good. I am redoing it for a third time.
Then storyboarding time. Did i mention this class goes very fast? But the difference in this one, is that it builds on itself. If you can't get your foundation down, the rest of the project is a mess. AS i started storyboarding, i read a whole design book to help me understand the metaphors of design better, then started sketching. Well Hello DUTCH you bastard. My sister even tried to shut Dutch down. I managed to scribble out some boards and with teh coaxing of my instructor, just submitted them. Even though they're terrible. (Probably dutch talking). With a little hand holding, I wont give up on this or me. Kick Dutch for me. More updates soon.
Clear skies.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.