I've decided to blog about my sleep study adventures, because apparently, the system is a bit flawed.
My story starts when i noticed something 'odd' about the inside of my nose. I know, sounds gross. I went to my doctor, who referred me to an ENT. About a year ago, he told me i needed surgery to fix a deviated septum in my nose and increase the insides of my nasal passages, as I had an 80% blockage.
I agreed and had the surgery. Since we were up against the end of year deadline for insurance, i had to rush it through, and didn't have time for a sleep study.
A year after the surgery, while i do breath so much better, and adding in a year of allergy/serum shots, i still snore and wake up so exhausted.
I downloaded an app on my phone, and it records snoring. I am an epic snorer, according to this app.
At the gentle urging of my BF, i went back to the ENT. Here's where the system, IMO, breaks down.
It took a MONTH to get into a sleep clinic. The referrals were a joke and it took several phone calls from myself and my ENT to get me into this clinic. I get in, and take home my tools for my sleep study.
The at home sleep study, is a vest that you strap on, and wrap this cable around your check that plugs into a little box. From that box, are tubes to stick in your nose to test your airway, and another that clips onto a finger to test your O2. Apparently, it only gathers about 3-4 hours of data.
You take it back after two days, and then wait another month for the clinic to download the results and send the info to the ENT. Then he books an appt, which, I am lucky and got in pretty quickly.
Here is what my study said...I don't have clinical sleep apnea, but i had big drops in O2? So, i show him my sleep app, and play the snoring recordings back (my apologies to my BF for having to deal with this, btw) and he decides to investigate further.
Ok. After getting a freaking snake pushed through my nose into my throat, the ENT tells me i've a few options. The worst case, but apparently EASIEST to get, is a surgery that removes my tonsels AND removes tissue from my throat due to a restricted airway. But this is not apnea. ? The down side, is that it's an extremely invasive surgery, incredibly painful for about two weeks, and actually, not a guarantee that i wont redevelop symptoms later. It's also like lypo for your throat.
Pass.
Option 2. Oral device. Get on down to your local pharmacy and buy a cheap one, and see if it works. Then we'll get you a custom one by an oral surgeon.
Well for one, pharmacies around my town don't carry such a thing. The cheapest one on the net is around $100.
Option 3. CPAP Machine, which has to come from a sleep clinic.
The ENT changes his mind, and decides to send me back to the sleep clinic.
Now, I await another month to get into the office, even as an established patient. Apparently, 80% of the DFW population can't sleep.
I made the decision to await for the appointment for buying any more sleep help aids (like the wedge pillow or head strap), and my day finally arrives.
When i get into the doctor, he's very nice, large man. Immediately he begins to tell me that I don't have sleep apnea. I play for him, the iphone app recordings. His attitude changes a little, and he starts an investigation. After 2 hours of a barrage of questions, he decides that I've got what is called "a restricted airway". Sound familiar?
THEN he tells me that Cigna insurance, is the WORST for sleep support, and everything hinged on that take home study that i feel is not accurate. OH yeah, the drops in the 02 levels, he claim, are defects in the test and just anomalies.
However, Cigna decides what they'll pay for from this test.
For now, the Sleep Doctor decides I am to be put on a CPAP machine trial for a month to see if it fixes my symptoms. My symptoms, btw, are all classic tells of apnea.
sigh
The reason i mention the weight of this doctor, is that he is obese. And he tells me he has to use a CPAP machine. What i don't understand, is that these doctors totally understand the human body, and that he's a prime candidate for diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and high cholesterol.
I am now waiting for the call from the sleep machine company so i can pick up the machine and start the trial.
Clear skies.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.