I wish, when I was a kid, that we had all this great information at our fingertips about health and beauty, like they do now. Let's face it, as a kid, I would eat a bag a fritos, can of beandip, wash it down with a snickers and dr. pepper for lunch. I always wondered why i had a stomach ache and wasn't a good athlete, even though i was a dancer and spent hours in dance classes and practices.
Now, even though there are days I still crave a can of beandip and a large bag of corn chips, I refrain, knowing i'll pay a big cost for it.
But there is one thing i've always failed to do, and that's drink enough water.
What I am learning, is that it isn't just drinking enough water, but when to drink it.
I've been doing some research, and thought I would try this out.
Every morning, after i use the restroom and brush my teeth, i drink one liter of water. Just chug it.
That's really the only change i've made in my eating habits. I've always had 'ok' eating habits, and I am trying to encourage more fruits and veggies (who doesn't), but changing my water habits has been a challenge.
It's not that i don't like water, but I don't really sweat a lot, and sometimes drinking a lot of H20 makes me feel like a water buffalo.
So, I decided to make this one change. Sometimes i fill up the glass and put it in the fridge the night before, esp if i have a rushed morning.
After doing this for about 3 weeks, here is what I've noticed. My nails!
I've NEVER had good fingernails. They usually crack and break and could never grow them strong, or long. Even take Biotin, and that helped a little (really helped my hair but never nails) As i type this, my nails are now the most uniformily long they've ever been. (it's almost hard to type)
Years ago, I had fake nails put on. It was a nightmare. They came off, and the nail beds tore. My thumb nail beds have never been the same, and I can't ever grow them at all.
Now I'm seeing real change in my hands. My hands have always looked old. I have skinny hands and my veins pop out everywhere. But i've noticed, they are plumping up a bit. I don't need as much lotion as i used to, and the tips of my fingers have stopped cracking.
The only downside to this practice, is drinking a liter before a long bike ride. OMG. Saturday I tried this. I had stop 4 times i think before the first 30 miles to pee it all out. :\
I'm also little concerned about washing out the salts, which is a real challenge to keep the electroylites up. Without them, you cramp. Cramping on a bike is not a party, esp when your moving. You're out there knodding, because I'm sure some of you have cramped and either toppled over, or just managed to unclip your feet in time to avoid a wreck. I watched a guy lay on the ground, screaming and rubbing his legs once in a rally. I wonder, if that actually damages the muscle. Because after I've had an intense cramping episode, that muscle is really sore for a few days.
In this case, I think drinking that much water in the morning, can cause problems there. So, if you do decide to try this, make sure there are bathrooms nearby.
After all, we only borrow water. What goes in, must come out ;)
Speaking of which, I need to go pee.
Clear Skies!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.