This blog has mostly been about Riding.
I also write.
Both have been kicking my butt.
Last year i sat down to write and i got distracted. This year, i'm changing that. I am one of those writers who has to have a project to write. I have about 4. I am scattered through all of them.
Occasionally, a fire lights under me. The story that has been bouncing around in my head, and on my white board, went stale. I began to dislike it. Even though i flushed out the story line, I found it hard to get started.
There are moments, when I believe writer's brains engage. Mine is while riding my bike alone, driving my car, or waking up at 2 am. I have no idea why. I guess if i did, I'd be a neurosomething.
The story took a different angle, and last night i wrote three chapters like i was channeling a spirit. Maybe I am. Maybe my Dad is fed up with my age onset A.D.D., and has decided to intervene. If so, thanks Dad. I hope someday, this project will get into the hands of the public. It's a fun story and sometimes, when im falling asleep, i dream of my characters and the lives they live...
Ok. I am back.
Let's chat about Riding! yea!
I think I'm onto something. Let's set some parameters. For me to wave the champagne bottle and announce "I am cured", i have to set parameters of success. Goals for this year...run/ride a few duathalons, go to Ragbrai, compete in the HHH triplethreat, and ride Cyclocross. Fairly light schedule by my colleagues standards. They're already racing. They started racing in the cold.
But my phyisical issues while riding the bike have been holding me back. I guess one thing about me, is that if i believe in an idea enough, I'll make it happen, or die trying. This is one.
It's probably been about a month now that i've been going to physical therapy in Arlington. It's a drive. A painful long drive. If you know anything about DFW traffic, it's a full on mess. I swear the metroplex has been under construction as long as I've lived here. It just seems to get worse. One day, I want to live in a city where i can actually get from one end to the other without the risk of death and dismemberment, or under an hour.
The PT started off pretty simple. Many butt squeezes. Many hamstring squeezes. I have to tell you, bridges are brutal, especially the one legged type.
Gary, my bike fitter at RBM, has been incredibly patient. He's smart, really smart. He does things on my bike that seem really silly to me. In fact, right now, my right hood looks like i've crashed my bars. It's bent in a this weird angle. "Trust me" He says. He listens too. He's finally allowed me to raise the bars and angle them upward more.
Friday, I rode 37 miles. For those of you around the lake, that's 3 of the big loops. Pain? Not much. My shoulders hurt, but the downstairs seemed OK. A few hammy squeezes and the pain subsides.
First parameter. Must be able to ride a few laps around the lake without dying. CHECK.
Saturday, my boyfriend and i saddled up. I was nervous. This is the real test. Can i ride a second day, and not be in so much pain that i want to curse and throw my bike into the lake?
Second Parameter. Multiple day rides. Ragbrai is a journey across Iowa on a bicycle. That means about 7 days this butt has to sit on a bike for more than 60 miles and live to tell about it.
Saturday was perfect cycling weather. By definition, that means 0-10 mph wind, 75F, and clear skies. Maybe a puffy cloud, or two.
We rode 4 laps around the lake. I did bail after 46 miles to go to the local tavern "Good Friends", because it's the best cycling bar around. (they discount for riding your bike there).
And my good friends showed up! Miracles.
Second Parameter. Check.
By all means, that's huge. Third parameter. Spin out legs on a third day. Easter Sunday probably NOT the best day for riding the lake, but we managed to eek out one lap. I could have gone further. CHECK.
Finally, the last parameter. Pain level. Needs to be under 3. I barely feel the hamstring.
Check.
Success. Plans for Ragbrai now go forward. I'm actually excited. I still have a lot of work to do. More PT, more fits.
Stick with it. Whatever you decide you want to do. Stick with it.
Clear Skies.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.