Thursday, June 30, 2011

bugs and cops

Hello world!
It's been 5 days since I completed my first century. While i should be packing, cleaning my house, folding laundry, i'm sitting on my sofa, watching Phil Koeghan's "The Ride" and now the "Adjustment Bureau".  I should be doing a lot of things, but I'd rather write.

A friend told me, two days after pulling off a big ride, I should have this superhuman-like surge of fitness.  Sunday, I could barely get out of bed.  Monday, I couldn't even face my bike.   A weird sort of right back pain has developed.  It's the muscle just to the right of my spine, near my neck.  Weird in that yes it hurts deep down inside, but also the skin every now and then hurts.  Weird, eh? Even though my skin appears normal.

Tuesday, I dragged myself out on my bike. I had time for only one lap.  1 lap and i felt like someone had punched me in the right buttcheek for a full hour.  Right? the left one is the one that is usually aching.  I didn't experience any sort of fitness jump. In fact, just the opposite.   I went out again Wednesday morning. This time, i had time for two laps.  Lethargic.  Men were passing me and there wasn't a damn thing i could do about it.

The good news is, that i downloaded a new firmware upgrade and the calorie count on my F610 is wayy closer to accurate.  That made me want to do another ride and test the computer.

I went back out there this morning.  Did i mention the bugs?  Let me detour my from physical discussion and talk about the bugs.

What a menace.  There are about two kinds of bugs that float around that lake...large school bus size monsters with wings, and swarms of these nasty large gnat like insects.  Either are bad.   The monsters slam into your body and your face like getting hit w/ a golf ball. I don't know what prehistoric skeletons these things are made from, but they hit you right when you least expect it.  Tuesday morning, I was hit right between the eyes by one of those pterodactyls. It almost knocked me off my bike. I'm sorry to say this but W. T . F?   I wonder what they are? June bugs?

Next, are the swarms.  These bugs are about the size of a fingernail, and yet when they hit you, they hurt too. But it's not a single little bug, like the biosphere size nightmares that bruise your skin. Oh no, these little fuckers travel in packs.  And they hate cyclists.

I really believe they meet up, and make a plan on how to take down as many riders before the sun comes up.  I'm riding along, singing to myself, enjoying a nice sunrise. I spy a group of runners, take a deep breath to yell that I'm on their left, and a swarm of these suckers bap bap bap bap bap bap bap attack me like shot from a shotgun. One lucky bastard goes right ....down....my.....throat. i could barely choke out a warning and could neither gag, cough or breath.

I know their little friends applaud, hi five each other, and hold up little signs with scores on them. Little fuckers.

I digress.  If you ride the lake early or late, you'll know what im talking about.

Ok, so, my physical ability came up a little better.  But,  i have to ride with my head down, to protect my eyes, and my mouth.  Yea, it's gross.

I got home today, thinking how less the bugs were. I pulled off my jersey to jump in the shower. I am covered in the bugs.  COVERED with little black corpses.  Not only that, they're in my air.  The trick to avoid them getting in my eyes, means they will land in the vents of my helmet.

Again, gross.

One more thing...always adhere to the traffic control.  This morning, i thought i might run a stop sign, bec it was 5:45 and who would be out at that hour? I didn't' see any cop cars.   But, i decided to stop.  Just as i came around a corner, there he was...a bicycle cop.  Those guys can hide where you don't expect.

SO, be warned, before sunrise, bugs and cop.

Are you ready for the 10% of the Tour de France??

GEt packin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.