in 2014, I wrote a century survival guide, but at the prompting at some interested friends, I decided to update it (instead of writing it out in several emails)
Here is my previous blog post
http://cylonboomer.blogspot.com/2014/06/riding-century-surivival-guide.html
Now a few years later, here are some new updates!
Training. For HHH, if you haven't been riding at least 70 miles, don't think you can do this ride. The heat alone will kick your butt, but the last 30 are headed south, into the strong headwind. The black top will melt after about noon, and the small rocks in the asphalt will bubble to the top, and pop your tires like crazy. Focus on going a shorter distance. You have to be at Hell's Gate by a certain time, but honestly, if you arent there by 10:30, consider a shorter route.
ALWAYS TAKE AT LEAST TWO TUBES, and a patch kit.
This year, it looks to be cooler, and if so, you can relax a bit for the afternoon, but it will still be a butt kicking. Your focus should be to be absolutely done no later than 2pm.
Chamois Creme. DO THIS. Do not skip it. You will not be able to sit down for a week if you don't. The cremes are great but they really don't last a full century. The petroleum based ones last longer. I had a great one that i wrote up in my 2014 guide, but they've since gone out of business. Which is very tragic. I don't like the menthol ones, as they irritate my delicate skin. Just don't forget it.
PreRACE food. I have discovered, other than oatmeal, another great fuel source. You can only get it at SamsClub. It's a Raisin cinnamon bread. After testing several morning fuel choices, I like this one the best. It's portable, so if you dn't have a chance to cook oatmeal, it works well. It digests well too. Toasted with a bit of butter is pretty damn amazing:
Oregon Trail Bread, Raisin Cinnamon w/ Vanilla (32 oz.)
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ot-cinnamon-raisin-bread-32-oz/prod7360133.ip
I'm also a big fan of pasta, but i have never eaten the food there, so i can't comment on it. But it appears to be fairly plain at the expo.
Here is my list of HHH items.
1) Bento box. I get ripped for this a lot, but it's a little bag you carry right on top of your top tube. For longer rides, i find it so necessary.
Here is what i keep in mine:
small tube of sunscreen
lip balm sunscreen (i get the kind that you can use on your lips and nose )
spare gu roctane
electrolyte pills - Hammer Electrolyte Extreme. 1 for each hour
Sports Legs - 1 for each hour.
Tums - Take when your stomach feels like it's hurting, nauseating, or feels like it's eating itself. These will buffer a sour stomach from the gels
Tylenol - 4 Just in case. Do NOT take Advil, as that can lead to cramping.
Honey Stinger chews: I take one bag of Honey Stinger Chews (i prefer cola because it has caffeine )
---I cut the top of the bag open and make sure it's on the top of everything else in the bento box. This way i can get to the chews quickly without using energy to dig them out.
Allergy med of choice (i like the claritin dissolve tabs that wont need water
Nutrilite -And the best kept secret - This is a combination of Rhodiola and Caffene
AWESOME STUFF. I can't recommend it enough. I've tried it in at different stages. It takes about 20 mins to get into your bloodstream. Sometimes I'll take it before i start the long ride, and then take another around 60 miles. Sometimes I wont take it until i hit mile 30 and take another around 75. It's really up to you, but the only time it has made me feel jittery is if i take it and nothing else in my stomach. Otherwise, I don't feel weird, just energetic.
https://www.amazon.com/NUTRILITE%C2%AE-Rhodiola-Supplement-Increase-Performance/dp/B0032D1EYS/ref=sr_1_9_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471891470&sr=1-9&keywords=rhodiola
Go to the local pharmacy (i went to Alberston's Pharmacy) and they carry little bags for carrying pills. You can get about 100 for a few bucks. If you are afraid of your electrolytes and sport legs getting crushed, they also make these little round plastic pill holders. They protect really well.
2) In my jersey pocket, i take my fast foods in my left pocket. This includes my:
7-8 GU Roctanes - The rule of thumb is 1 for every hour
1-2 honey stinger waffle (i like these because they lay flat)
1 - Margrita Pizza Cliff Nutrition
http://www.clifbar.com/products/Athlete-Series/organic-energy-food/pizza-margherita
I really like this, because around mile 70-80 my stomach feels like it's eating itself. It's a savory food that's pureed so it digests easily, but is salty and not sweet. Sometimes I can't take much sweet at that point in the ride.
amazon has very good prices for gels, if you order them early enough. The expo will have tons of that stuff, but its going to be pricey and not guaranteed what you want is there.
You might decide this is too much, food. The rest stops are appox 10 miles apart. They are usually loaded up with bananas, oranges, gatorade, Ice and water, plus any other stuff that group wants to bring. You may want to bring fewer gels and lieu of getting the bananas or oranges. It's really up to you. I would rather have too much food, then not enough.
Gels timing. I have found that as soon as i feel this tiny little pang in my stomach, that i need to eat. IF i go too long, I bonk. Recovering from a bonk at mile 60 blows. Try to stay ahead of it. Don't feel like you have to eat less because someone else does.
In my other pocket is my Phone. I made a special size bag out of a ziplock bag. I used a food saver sealer to cut and seal it to the right size.
I also put a sunglasses microfiber cloth in there. Your glasses are going to get funky. It's nice to be able to clean them off, esp if someone sweats on you while riding. gross.
Water - Pay ATTENTION HERE! The water in the falls has traditionally tasted pretty badly to anyone who doesn't live there. I always bring jugs of water from Dallas, or buy at grocery store. A couple of years ago, a poo water recycling plant went online, due to the drought. Don't get me wrong, I love WF, but i have my suspicions of the water. You probably can't carry enough water with you, so i suggest taking 2 bottles, plus a third if you can cram it in.
Here is an idea i'm going to try this year.
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Salomon_Soft_Flask/descpage-SF500M4.html
This the solomon flask. It's a soft bladder. This year, I'm going to freeze one, and put it in my back pocket. HOpefully, by the time i need it, it will be melted. I use the hand one for running, and it's quite good, but it is NOT insulated.
The Course- I tend to drink less than most people, but the rest stops are tricky.
From mile 0-36, you will have a tail wind. Do not stop at ANY rest stops before then. This will be the fastest riding of your day, so make the best of it.
36 - 57 you will have a cross wind. Try to stay with your pack if you can.
I try to make my first stop either the 40 or 50. Stop 50 is usually the County stop and they've got some really good food there.
57-62 head south. Headwind. It will be difficult but you should be full of energy still.
62-78 Going northish, so you get your tail wind back. This is a perfect place to make up some time. Also the streets are the best here.
Around mile 70 is a good second stop. Load up on as much ice as you can here.
78-100 - Your life will suck. You'll be going into a south head wind. It will be hot. Try to get in a pack if possible. Many will stop at mile 90. I hate doing that, because i just want to get it over with. There used to be a beer truck around there, so you might want to stop in for a beer. That would make me yak, but to each his own.
The course
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/8174
It's total chaos when you cross the finish line. There will be lots of people and trucks with food and drinks everywhere. If you're coming through the finish line, to the immediate left, is a Soda Truck. They have free soda for coke, diet coke, 7up, etc. that's my first stop.
BRING CASH. You might want a beer or some food. They're is all kinds.
If i have any of the margarita Pizza left over, i eat it now, because your stomach will desperately need something that isn't sweet in it.
To the right of the finish, is the Med Tent. They are AWESOME In there. If you feel faint or sick at all, go there immediately. I swear this is the second best kept secret They will bring you drinks and pack you in ice. it's really a good thing, instead of standing around in the heat trying to find a cool place and making yourself sick.
After you get your shower and chill, get back to the Expo. They usually have a band in the afternoon (not sure about this year) but you can get some great deals on cycling stuff, as vendors don't want to take it home.
Also, if you want to go out to eat, i highly suggest getting out as early as possible. The restaurants get crazy busy. KEMP street is the main drag in the falls. Along the KELL expressway past mcNiel street is also a string of places to eat.
I usually go to whataburger, as it's fast and you can get in and out quickly.
That is all my HHH knowledge. If anyone has anything to add, please add it in the comments!!!
Good luck and rice safely!!
Clear Skies.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.