Thursday, August 9, 2012

Heal and Rebuild

It's hard to look back at this time last year, and know i was trained up and ready to hit the HHH for a 5 hour century.  This year...i can't even sit on a bike. Boohoo!

I guess, as any athlete that's been injured, and a bunch way worse than i was, has to face that irritating phase when you feel good, xcept for that injured part. The mind aches to play, and the body demands to be fed as if training at that level has started up, but the calorie burn isn't there, and weight gain becomes just as big an issue as the healing itself.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I had a big meltdown last night over the weight issue.  My usual mental arguments to get me to a better place failed me miserably. For example, when i get to that point in the past, I would just go ride my bike. Big calorie burn. Nope. Not happening. Another method would be to calm the brain by focusing on counting calories on Livestrong.com.  i tried recently, and the insult by not having much of a calorie bank, and no exercise to burn up the extra's, was depressing.  That didn't last.

I'm sure it's a helpless feeling to watch someone go through this, and any injured athlete gets it. I think the only solution is time, and patience, two things i feel i dont have.

To be honest, I haven't any idea how to fix myself.  So, off to the physical therapist i go. 
Keeping it short, after my evaluation, the concensus is...my glutes are weak. Strong Hammies, But i am a weak ass.

What's the solution?? Butt muscle clenches! I have to start from the beginning.

It takes about 3 months for bone to heal, and i'm two weeks out of 3 months from the accident.  I have collateral damage. The connective tissue and stuff around the bones is wadded up to spasms and other nasty bundles. Not to mention the atrophied muscles. I cringe at how flabby my legs have gotten in just a few months.  Suck isn't a big enough word.

The great thing about the human body, is the ability to heal, with enough time and nuturing, from breaking the biggest bone in the body. I am lucky it was breaks and not bone crushes.

What's next..lots of stretching, Dr. Lee visits for some ART, and butt muscle exercises. Swimming anyone??

There is something to be said for Cross Training. Here i go

Clear Calm skies!

And don't forget to stretch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.