Chances are, your first century is going to be an organized, supported ride. This means, long lines for food and water, and porta johns.
Here are my thoughts on that big day.
Bike fit. Make sure you get a good fit months before the day of your big ride. Getting a new bike fit the day before, can be catastrophic.

New stuff. Don't take anything new on your big day, unless you've tested it on a few rides. Even if you've just bought the exact same pair of bike shoes you've been wearing for ten years, models change. The smallest, unexpected change can bring down a long ride. (it's really difficult to butter up in a porta john) I loved Okole Stuff, but i just recently googled it, and supsect the company is out of business. This stuff was great, and was more petroleum jelly based. It didn't break down as easy, plus it was a bitch to get it off your hands once applied. But it really hung in there, with all that friction going on. http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/06/24/mini-review-okole-stuff-chamois-lube/ Here is an article about it, and maybe some of you out there know a similar brand. Chamois creme. Oh yeah. Learn to use it. Use a lot of it. Find a brand that you like, that doesn't irritate your skin. TEST it out on your longer weekend rides weeks before the big ride. I have two i really like. Chamois Butt'r, (formally butt butt'r) is my go to creme , but it seems to wear out on the long rides. Nutrition. You cannot survive a long ride if you don't fuel properly. I take 1 gel for every 10 miles. Then i take a couple extra. It is RARE that i've gone through that many gels, but you never know how hard the ride will be. You might have more hills, hardcore headwinds, etc, and you might need more nutrition. I know you'll look like pack mule, but it's better to have more than what you need, then bonk. I prefer Gu Labs Roctane, citrus flavors with caffeine. My favorite flavors are orange and cherry.
I hit one of these about every 10 miles. I usually get a slight pang in my stomach. That's my clue to eat. If i wait too long, then i could get sick. But here's the rub. IN a fast pace group, that's hard to do. So, learn how to eat while riding. Some of my friends put the gels in a little bottle. I tried with Gu, and it squirted out of the lid and made a huge, wasteful mess. Some have suggested watering it down. There are brands that are thinner, like Hammer Gels. I stick to the packets.
I also pack 2 honey stinger waffles. These lie very flat, and you can pack them against your body in your back pockets. IF i need something more substantial, i'll get a Cliff Bar. It's made with rice syrup, not corn syrup, and seems to digest well.
I take 2 honey stinger chew packs and empty them into a little snack bag. They're easier to get out when you just need a quick hit.
Im also toying with the idea of Campbell chicken n stars soup. It comes in a small, drinkable can. I know, that sounds pretty gross, especially not heated up. It has salt, carbs and protein with a little fat. It's highly digestible too. One day, i'll try this out.
Bento Box. A bento is typically a small little bag that velcros right in beind of your handlebar stem and top tube, in front of you. I put a gels in that, and my snack bag of chews. It frees some space in your jersey. These bags are about $25 at local bike shop.
At the grocery store, you can find little medicine bags or plastic pill holders. Those little medicine bags are cheap and you get about 100. I put small things like electrolyte pills, sport legs to fend off sore muscles, tums, zantac and allergy meds. At around mile 70, my stomach seems to rebel a little. Tums can really help this.
My other best kept secret, is yes, from Amway.
Rhodiola 110An Amway rep turned me onto this, and i am a true believer!! Something about the Rhodiola helps buffer the freakiness too much caffiene can give me.
I also keep a small stick of lip balm, and a small bottle of suntan lotion.
On a long, open highway, you WILL become covered in dirt. IF it's really hot outside, stopping at a rest stop, and wiping down your arms and legs with a wet paper towel not only cools you down, but it also makes you feel refreshed. Slather on more sunblock and you're good to go.
Now, I've tried sun sleeves.

Cool tac. These are very thin with no seams. I'm a fairly small person, but i've found the mediums fit longer. If you get them too short, you get a gap between your gloves and arms, and your wrists get a nice burn. The best way to wet down these sleeves is to pull open the top and our water down it. They saturate faster and act like a great air conditioner. I've found that these relieve some irritation i tend to get on my arms from the elements. Worth every penny.
I've also started wearing a bicycle cap under my helmet. Unless you're wearing a mountain bike helmet with the visor built it, having a cap will not only offer a bit of shade for your eyes, but it will also prevent stinging bugs from flying into your helmet. If it starts raining, you can turn the back around. The bill in the back will prevent rain water from going down your neck.
Remember to get your cadence training in. Ride with groups. Learn to eat and drink while riding. Ride several long rides before your first century, so you'll have an idea what works and doesn't work for you. Test any new equipment weeks ahead of your ride. Get a good bike fit. Make lists of what you carry and need on your bike. Identify what preride, ride, and recovery foods you'll need. Carry more food than you'll need. Unless you're going for super distance before stopping, 2 bottles of water is probably enough. Most centuries have a rest stop planned about every 10 miles.
Good luck and enjoy the idea that you get eat A LOT afterwards!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.